Have you ever walked down the street and saw a graffiti piece or mural art on a wall? Most of them are pretty amazing, right? If you’re looking for a gift idea for graffiti artist, then you’ve come to the right place. In this list I have compiled some of the best gifts that can help in becoming a better graffiti artist. In this list we’re going to focus on gifts for graffiti/street artists, gifts for graffiti lovers as well as gifts for the person that’s just getting into the graffiti art scene.
14 Amazing Gift Ideas For Graffiti Artists
- Graffiti GuideJust like in other types of art there are some basic rules and techniques, graffiti in this case is no different. In order to learn how to shape the letters to have an overall flow of your piece; learn about multipoint perspective so that you will be able to draw 3D effects; learn different styles of graffiti writing; how to fill with color; make gradients; to understand where to put shadows and highlights; you might as well get a guide. Of course you can go online and watch a video on how to do it, however in most of these guides there are pages where you can fill in with colors already designed pieces or practice your technique on others, which makes it a proper gift for any beginner graffiti artist.
- Sharpie Permanent MarkersBefore you start painting on the walls, you should probably grab a pencil and draw a sketch first. Then, using a sharpie, retrace the lines of your piece, bringing it to life. This is fundamental to any graffiti piece. Sharpies come in different sizes, meaning you can draw fine lines; add even the smallest details; fill in negative space; give outlines to your words, making them stand out more. It is a simple, yet a good gift, since they are used all the time and get emptied fast.
- Color MarkersTo really get that “wow” effect you need color. Trust me, graffiti artists love color. Not that black and white only is bad, but with color everything is more vivid, more fun. With a huge variety to choose from there are no limits to how colorful your artwork can be. It can be useful to know that some markers are with alcohol inside and are easier to paint and blend with, others might be acrylic or water based, and they tend to be more tricky to work with. Also, by using different tones of color you can make nice gradients from warm to cold; make the shapes look 3D; add highlights and shadows; and so much more. Markers go by fast, so make sure you have a good supply of them. Some of them come in large quantities so you or your friend will definitely end up happy about the gift.
- Spray Paint CansDo you feel ready and confident to go outside and start painting masterpieces? Then grab a few spray cans, black and white are a must have and of course some with color inside. They tend to clog, so make sure to give them a good shake before using them. There are a lot of brands to choose from, which produce different types of paint. Some might be acrylic, others will be matte or glossy, or even sparkly. They come in different sizes too, especially the ones with black color, since it's mainly used for the outlines of the piece. And just like markers and sharpies, the spray cans go out fast. Depending on the color inside, sometimes one can is not enough to finish a mural or a graffiti piece. That's why a good choice for a gift could be a few spray cans with your favorite color or the one of your friend.
- Neon Spray Paint And MarkersWho said that it is impossible to paint at night? You would need neon or glow in the dark paint. Your graffiti piece could be pretty awesome in daylight, but turn the lights off and it's a whole new game. You can layer the neon paint on top of other layers. Don't worry it won't be visible during the day, however at night it could be a totally different art piece. It is a perfect gift for those who want to try something new, something out of the ordinary. This way you and your friends can paint during the day and the night!
- Graffiti Alphabets: Street Fonts from Around the WorldGraffiti artists rarely design complete alphabets. Claudia Walde spent over two years collecting alphabets by 154 artists from thirty countries to show the many different styles and approaches to lettering within the graffiti and street art cultures. Classic graffiti lettering and experimental typographical forms lie at the heart of street culture so this gift will be a sign to the graffiti artist that you really put in the effort and found out what could be the gift that will delight.
- Spray Paint CapsEvery graffiti artist needs those! That's where the paint from the cans come out of. And just like markers, sharpies and spray cans, the caps also come in different sizes. Accurate to the touch and with a steady hand the artist can add details and draw fine thin lines with the small cap. Don't worry if you mess up, you can always switch to a bigger size cap. For filling in space with color or for the background it's better to use a medium or a fat cap, because you will fill more space quicker and use less paint. The paint in them gets dry, so make sure to clean them often. Don't worry they usually come in medium sized bags with enough inside to last for a month, but that does not mean they won't make a valuable gift.
- Double Nozzle Spray HeadThis is something quite unique and innovative, when it comes to graffiti. Not very often used, however it's tons of fun and the result can be surprising! Basically you put two spray cans together using one cap. And when the cans are with different colors inside, you get a mesmerizing blend of the two! This alone makes it an amazing thing to have or at least try.
- The Earth Without Art is just eh MugIf you are in search of a fun and unique gift for someone who is into graffiti art, this suggestion may be just what you need. The mug features the well-known phrase, “The Earth without art is just eh”. This mug lets everyone know how important art is to graffiti artists.
- Face Mask And GogglesSafety first, as they say. You will be painting for quite some time until you have completely finished your artwork, it can be dangerous without the proper safety measures. That's why you need to have a face mask with reusable filters on. That way the toxic fumes from the paint won't be inhaled. The use of goggles is advisable since the paint can go in the eyes. You should buy a few pairs of gloves as well, some paint is hard to get off. It can be a thoughtful gift to show someone you care for their safety.
- Multi Color Paint HoodieThis awesome hoodie is the best thing an graffiti artist will ever want to wear while doing graffiti. What's there in this hoodie that makes it different from other hoodies? Well, it is a multicolored hoodie with different shades of paint colors present on it. So, if for your street artists ever spill the color on it no one will know..
- Design TemplatesYou feel that your work needs a little “spice”? You can use templates! It's not cheating if it's smart! You can print or cut them by hand, whatever design you choose. The sky's the limit when it comes to templates. They bring together the whole artwork. Easily applicable both on paper and on the wall. Just remember not to overdo it. Definitely a good gift for a fellow artist, since it will be made by you and unique at the same time.
- Wall and Piece by BanksyBanksy, Britain's now-legendary “guerilla” street artist, has painted the walls, streets, and bridges of towns and cities throughout the world. Banksy is arguably the most famous graffiti artist of all time. Not only did he smuggle his pieces into four of New York City's major art museums, he's also “hung” his work at London's Tate Gallery and adorned Israel's West Bank barrier with satirical images. Banksy's identity remains unknown, but his work is unmistakable—with prints selling for as much as $45,000. The book “Wall and Piece” by Banksy is a must have for every novice graffiti artist or well-known street graffiti art master and therefore belongs to the group of most given gifts to them.
- Paint RollerBefore starting to paint on the wall, you have to prime it first. That means painting the whole wall with one color. This way small cracks will be filled or at least not visible. It may require to be done two or three times. It is usually done with black or a darker color, depending on the design as it will also be part of the background. The best way to do all of this is to use a paint roller with a long handle and a bucket of paint, of course. It saves up time and nerves, as it is tedious to paint a whole wall. They are often replaced, because the paint with time damages the roller,making it a worthy gift to any painter or hey you might want to repaint your room, then you should go grab one of those.